September 2, 2015
Tamron Co., Ltd.
REDEFINING THE SP SERIES LENSES DESIGNED FOR THE NEW ERA OF IMAGING
First to debut: two fast, fixed focal standard lenses packed with exceptional features that deliver ultimate performance
SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012)
SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013)
September 2, 2015, Saitama, Japan – Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Morio Ono), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces launch of a new series of SP lenses that are optimized to make the most of the superior imaging performance delivered by the latest advancements in digital photography. Sporting a totally revamped external appearance, the new lenses provide the ultimate in functionality and operation. The first two lenses in the series are compatible with full-frame DSLR cameras and offer fast apertures and versatile, fixed focal lengths. The pair consists of the SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012) and SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013), and both can be used with APS-C format cameras as well.
* The Sony mount model does not include VC (Vibration Compensation), since the bodies of Sony DSLR cameras include built-in image stabilization functionality.
Background of the SP Series Renovation
In 1979, Tamron unveiled the first SP Series lens, the 90mm F/2.5 Macro, a legendary product that was designed to achieve the highest level of performance possible. Since then, a significant number of lenses designated SP have been introduced. During the ensuing 35 years, cameras and imaging devices have made dramatic advancements and diversification centered mostly around innovations in image sensor technology and sophisticated signal processors.
Constantly innovating, Tamron developed new lenses to stay abreast of the exciting technological evolution. Lenses launched after 2012, including SP 24-70mm F/2.8 VC USD, SP 70-200mm F/2.8 VC USD, SP 90mm F/2.8 MACRO 1:1 VC USD, SP 15-30mm F/2.8 VC USD and SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 VC USD, received rave reviews for their high performance and richly refined functionality to sustain sophisticated requirements of the latest DSLRs with high pixel counts.
To leap forward, Tamron has gone back to the root of optics to redefine all of the core attributes of lenses to be selected as photographers' "ultimate partners." The new series of SP lenses are developed seeking the highest level of performance, functionality and maneuverability, and a prestigious external appearance that reconfirms the high quality of the properties that are inside.
Features of fast-aperture fixed focal lenses: 35mm and 45mm, the first of new SP Series
To develop these two standard fixed focal lenses, goals were established to provide exquisite characteristics certain to set them distinctively apart from ordinary, conventional models. This required a new approach.
All of the key performance criteria were redefined to achieve the ultimate in optical performance. VC (Vibration Compensation) was incorporated as an integral part of the opto-electronics design to expand shooting freedom. Priority was set to allow dramatically closer focusing capability to remove what would otherwise be a barrier to the subject. Yet with all this innovation, the overall mechanical package had to be kept within practical size limits with an elegantly sophisticated external design as a human interface.
Having optimized every prerequisite, remarkably versatile lenses have been developed that boast amazing performance from F/1.8 wide open aperture. These lenses can be enjoyed by users of APS-C cameras as well as full-frame.
- F/1.8 fast-aperture, fixed focal lenses aimed at ultimate performance
- Optimal use of the latest glass materials, coupled with Tamron's world renowned optical design technology, thoroughly compensated for aberrations of all types to achieve higher resolving power, while fine textures of materials and details are reproduced with subtle tonal gradations. The F/1.8 aperture delivers more light to the viewfinder—making it brighter for easier focusing – and more light to the sensor, allowing use even in very dim lighting conditions. In addition, the bokeh (background blur) effect obtained using the F/1.8 fast aperture delivers impressively smooth and soft transition from the main subject to the background.
- Dynamic close-focusing capability, unprecedented among standard lenses
- Both models deliver astonishingly short MOD (Minimum Object Distance) not available from other 35mm or 45mm standard lenses. Photographers can get closer to the subject with ease, unleashing new photo opportunities with an expanded scope of freedom. Superb image capture is ensured throughout the entire range from the closest to normal shooting distances, thanks to Tamron's proprietary Floating System built into both lenses.
- VC (Vibration Compensation) system, a feature crucial for high-pixel-density cameras
- Beneficial under all lighting conditions and especially useful in low light levels, the VC function provides noticeable advantages for handheld shooting by minimizing the adverse effects of camera shake. Cameras with high pixel densities, in particular, are sensitive to minute vibrations which cause unsharpness and degradation of image quality. VC works to ensure the maximum imaging performance even in dim lighting to allow photographers to enjoy the fast F/1.8 maximum aperture to the fullest extent.
- User-friendly product design with close attention to all details
- Opening a new chapter in the SP legend, product design, opto-mechanical construction and engineering processes are totally integrated. Every single detail and operating function has been thoroughly reexamined, explored and matured to a form that has a friendly, human touch.
- Product design with maximum emphasis on the human interface in order to achieve the ultimate in functional beauty
- While the lens is constructed with the absolutely most modern technologies inside, the exterior is articulated to offer the best possible comfort and confidence under a product design philosophy of "Human Touch." Organically composed lines and patterns on the barrel produce subtle changes in its appearance by reflecting ambient light on the surface. Metal-based barrel materials provide a pleasant feeling of comfort, high quality and durability, fitting firmly in the hands of the photographer. Design of the front face of the lens is also taken into consideration so that it is not intimidating.
- Brand ring and SP emblem
- A brand ring that's tinted "Luminous Gold" adorns the lens just above the lens mount. On one side of the lens barrel there is an SP emblem in the same luxurious color.
- Design of distance and aperture scales
- The window over the distance scale has been enlarged by 20% to maximize visibility and legibility. Font style of the characters and numbers has been newly developed to enhance the legibility as a critical element of the overall product design.
- Switches with optimized geometric shape and tactile feedback
- The geometric shape and sliding torque of the AF/MF change-over and VC On/Off switches have been configured and engineered to deliver the utmost comfort with secured operational feedback.
- Lens hood and caps
- To complete the lens product design, accessories such as the lens hood and caps for front and rear have been totally redesigned as well. Attaching and removing the lens hood has been fine-tuned by optimizing the connection interface to render both secure seating and durability.