17 December, 2015
Tamron Co., Ltd.
New Tamron 18-200mm zoom is compact and lightweight
and features improved AF
Tamron announces the launch of the
18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II (Model B018) for Sony mount
December 17, 2015, Saitama City, Japan - Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Morio Ono), a leading manufacturer of precision optics, announces the introduction of a new high-performance lens that zooms from 18 to 200mm for APS-C DSLR cameras.
18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II （Model B018）
For Sony mount*
|Date of Launch (in Japan)
December 24, 2015
The Sony mount version described in this announcement is being launched first in the Japanese market, with overseas launch to follow at a later date. This lens is already available for Canon and Nikon cameras.
- * The Sony mount version does not include VC since Sony digital SLR bodies incorporate built-in image stabilization functionality.
- The name of the Sony mount model is "18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II" without the VC designation.
- No need to change lenses—shoot in a wide variety of settings, from true wideangle to telephoto, with a single lens
- A zoom range of 18 to 200mm (35mm equivalent: 28-310mm) means there is no need to change lenses even when switching from wideangle shots in tight places to long telephoto shots of distant objects. Ideal for everything from large group photos to family pictures, portraits, scenery, animals and school events—even for close-up shots (less than 0.5m / 19.7 in) of food.
- Compact and light for greater portability
Tamron designed the 18-200mm to be as user-friendly as possible by emphasizing portability and convenience. Users will appreciate the incredible balance and comfortable feel of this lens—even when used with the newest APS-C DSLR cameras.
- Features fast AF to capture all the action, even for novices
By incorporating a newly designed autofocus drive module with optimal DC motor-gear train integration, the 18-200mm focuses much more quickly and quietly than models with conventional DC motors.
- Delivers enhanced imaging performance in a lightweight package
Featuring 16 elements in 14 groups, the 18-200mm uses an LD (Low Dispersion) lens element to minimize chromatic aberrations. Although light and compact, Tamron's new offering also delivers amazing overall optical performance for an all-purpose lens. A circular, seven-blade aperture diaphragm maintains an almost perfectly round shape even at two stops down from its maximum aperture, providing desirable and beautiful bokeh with point light sources blurring into naturally rounded shapes.
- Works great as an easy-to-use lens for day-to-day use
For added dependability and longer life, Tamron's new lens features moisture-resistant construction that helps prevent damage caused by accidental exposure to wetness. The lens also comes with a Zoom Lock feature to prevent unwanted barrel extension when users carry their lens and camera body combinations with the lens pointed toward the ground.
|Angle of View (diagonal)
||75°33' - 7°59'
||16 elements in 14 groups
|Minimum Object Distance
||0.49m/19.3 in – 0.77m/30.3 in at varying focal lengths
(18mm: 0.5m/19.7 in, 35mm: 0.77m/30.3 in, 180mm: 0.49m/19.3 in,
200mm: 0.5m/19.7 in)
|Maximum Magnification Ratio
||1:4 (at f=200mm: MOD 0.5m)
||96.1mm (3.8 in)
||400g (14.1 oz)
||7 (circular diaphragm)
||Flower-shaped lens hood, Lens caps
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
- Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.