17 December, 2015
Tamron Co., Ltd.
Tamron's state-of-the-art lens design features an XGM (eXpanded Glass Molded Aspherical)*1 lens element and eBAND Coating*2 for outstanding detail and performance, from the center to the edges of the frame over the entire zoom range.
Tamron announces the launch of
the SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di USD (Model A012) for Sony mount
December 17, 2015, Saitama, Japan – Tamron Co., Ltd., a leading manufacturer of precision optics, announces the release of the SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di USD (Model A012), a groundbreaking full-frame F/2.8 ultra-wide angle zoom lens for Sony mount.
SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di USD (Model A012)
for Sony mount*3
|Date of Launch
December 24, 2015
The Sony mount version described in this announcement is being launched first in the Japanese market, with overseas launch to follow at a later date. This lens is already available for Canon and Nikon cameras.
- *1 The XGM (eXpanded Glass Molded Aspherical) lens element is capable of efficiently correcting aberrations in the angle of view that can vary significantly with an ultra-wide angle zoom lens. The lens element design has an important impact in terms of minimizing distortion and enhancing the sharpness of the image at its periphery.
- *2 eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating is a new nanotechnology-based coating technique developed by Tamron to reduce unwanted reflections.
- *3 The Sony mount version does not include VC, since Sony digital SLR bodies incorporate built-in image stabilization functionality. The name of the Sony mount model is "SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di USD" without the VC designation.
- Superior, class-leading imaging performance using an innovative XGM lens element
- With an optical construction consisting of 18 elements in 13 groups, including, for the first time, an XGM (eXpanded Glass Molded Aspherical) lens element placed in the front group, and several molded-glass aspherical elements and LD (Low Dispersion) elements used throughout the optical system, aberrations such as geometrical distortion and lateral color are efficiently corrected, enabling the zoom lens to deliver outstanding image quality throughout its entire zoom range from corner to corner.
- eBAND Coating provides superior anti-reflection properties
Not only does this lens incorporate further optimization of Tamron's acclaimed BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) Coating, the eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating has also been employed in this lens. This combination offers superior anti-reflection properties, which are especially important in ultra-wide angle lenses, which are particularly susceptible to flare and ghosting due to their wide angle of view, and provides superior quality and crystal-clear images by minimizing the amount of unwanted light reaching the sensor.
- 15-30mm zoom covers both ultra-wide and wide angle focal lengths
At its ultra-wide angle settings this lens can capture, in a single photograph, broad landscapes that cannot be taken in fully by the human eye. At its wide angle focal lengths, it's ideal for travel and street photography. In short, this unique lens utilizes the zoom function to provide maximum shooting flexibility with a wide range of subjects.
- Superb background "bokeh" throughout the wide angle range due to its fast constant F/2.8 aperture
Utilizing its shallow depth of field at F/2.8, this lens enables users to capture beautiful "bokeh" effects even at wide coverage angles. Its advanced optical formula and 9-bladed circular diaphragm are designed with defocused photography in mind - perfect for creating images where subjects stand out from their natural, blended backgrounds.
- Proven fluorine coating utilizing Tamron's industrial lens expertise is used on the front element
Fluorine coating, with an established track record in Tamron's industrial lenses, such as those used in automotive cameras, has been applied to the front element. It repels water and dirt, and makes it easier to remove smudges.
- Flexible, high-performance focusing with USD
USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*4 delivers high torque, high precision, and virtually silent autofocus action. A full-time manual focus mechanism permits fine-focus adjustments instantly without needing to exit AF mode.
- Lens hood designed to prevent light from striking the lens at all focal lengths
This unique lens hood provides effective shading of the front lens surface over the entire zoom range to minimize flare. It utilizes the unique characteristics of the optical system in which the front lens group recedes as you zoom in from 15 mm to 30 mm.
- Double-hood structure provides additional strength
A double-hood structure has been incorporated into the lens design to improve the durability of the zoom mechanism.
- Comes with "SILKYPIX Developer Studio for Tamron", RAW image processing software customized for Tamron SP lenses
The SILKYPIX Developer Studio software can develop high-quality images from RAW data, incorporating adjustments that can be used to express the personal style and taste of the photographer. These include white balance, color, sharpness, and the tonal curves recorded by digital cameras.
The SILKYPIX Developer Studio for Tamron provides a range of functions in addition to basic adjustment capabilities, such as correcting aberrations (chromatic aberrations, distortion, peripheral light fall-off), based on the optical data. Used in tandem with Tamron's SP series lenses - renowned for their crisp, high-resolution imaging - this advanced technology efficiently produces images that meet the demands of even the most exacting photographers.
- *4 USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) is Tamron's proprietary ring-type ultrasonic motor.
|Angle of View (diagonal)
||110°32'～71°35' (for full-frame format)
85°52'～49°54' (for APS-C format)
||18 elements in 13 groups
|Minimum Object Distance
||0.28m (11 in)
|Maximum Magnification Ratio
||1:5 (at f=30mm:MFD 0.28m)
||144.5mm (5.7 in)
||1060g (37.4 oz)
||9 (circular diaphragm)
||Integrated flower-shaped hood
||Lens caps (push-on front, rear)
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
- * Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.